Did you know that people who learn online can retain 25% to 60% more information?
This is great news when taking your first steps to learn how to play an instrument online.
Without having to worry if online learning is effective or not, your next question may be, ‘How do I choose the best online music lessons for me?’
Fear not, I’ve got you covered!
I’ve spent the last few years reviewing 20+ different online music courses, apps, and software, using the following key criteria to rank them: price, course curriculum, quality of instructors, lesson structure, and more.
In this article, we’ll explore the best online music lessons available, comparing the above criteria to help you make an informed decision and take your learning to the next level.
Disclosure: We are a professional review website that may receive compensation for the products we review. All recommendations are genuine and/or verified by myself!
What Are the Best Online Music Lessons?
Here’s an overview of our top online music course recommendations:
- Flowkey (Piano)
- Guitar Tricks (Guitar)
- 30 Day Singer (Singing)
- Drumeo (Drums)
- ArtistWorks (Violin)
- JamPlay (Bass Guitar)
- Uke Like the Pros (Ukulele)
- ArtistWorks (Saxophone)
- Guitar Tricks (Classical Guitar)
What Instrument Should You Learn?
Before deciding which online music lessons are best for you, it’s easier if you have an idea of what instrument you want to learn.
Yes, there are some programs that you can sign up for that teach multiple instruments.
However, from my experience, online music courses dedicated to one specific instrument are generally much better.
Here are a few things to consider when deciding which instrument to learn.
First, think about the type of music you enjoy and the instruments commonly used in that genre.
It’s often easier to stay motivated when learning an instrument that you have a personal interest in.
Next, consider your physical abilities and limitations. Some instruments require a lot of strength or dexterity, while others may be easier on the hands and body.
Ultimately, the decision should come down to personal interest and enjoyment.
If you are excited about an instrument and the music it can create, you will be more likely to stick with it and make progress.
Generally speaking, I tend to recommend the piano, guitar, or learning how to sing as great first options. From there, you can always branch out.
You may also find my article on the easiest instruments to learn useful, although easy may not always mean the best.
Considering you now have an idea of what instrument you would like to learn, let’s jump into some of the best online music lessons for each.
Flowkey is an online piano learning platform that offers a range of courses and tutorials for pianists of all skill levels.
Some of the key features that make Flowkey stand out include:
- Interactive learning: Flowkey’s lessons are designed to be interactive, providing immediate feedback on your playing and allowing you to progress at your own pace.
- Wide range of lessons: Flowkey offers lessons covering a variety of genres, from classical to pop, and everything in between. This makes it a great choice for students who want to learn a specific style or genre of music.
- Quality instruction: Flowkey’s lessons are taught by experienced instructors who have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in piano playing.
- Flexible learning: With Flowkey, you can learn at your own pace, on your own schedule. This makes it a great choice for students with busy schedules or those who want to learn at their own pace.
Read my full Flowkey review for more info or start your free trial to find out for yourself!
Guitar Tricks is an online guitar learning platform that offers a comprehensive library of video lessons and tutorials for guitar players of all skill levels.
Here are some of the key features that make Guitar Tricks a popular choice for online guitar lessons:
- Extensive lesson library: Guitar Tricks offers over 11,000 video lessons covering a wide range of guitar styles and techniques, from beginner to advanced levels.
- Quality instruction: Guitar Tricks’ lessons are taught by experienced instructors who are knowledgeable and passionate about guitar playing. The instructors are also skilled at breaking down complex techniques and making them easy to understand.
- Structured learning paths: Guitar Tricks offers structured learning paths for different skill levels and styles, making it easy for students to progress in a logical and organized manner.
- Jam tracks and backing tracks: Guitar Tricks provides a library of jam tracks and backing tracks that students can use to practice playing along with a band or backing track.
- Community support: Guitar Tricks has an active community of guitar players who can provide support and feedback to other students, as well as a forum where students can ask questions and get advice from instructors.
The extensive lesson library, quality instruction, and structured learning paths make it a comprehensive and effective platform for guitar players of all levels.
Read my full Guitar Tricks review for more info or start your free trial to find out for yourself!
- Easy and fun way to learn guitar online
- Learn to play your favorite songs
- Try now for free with no obligations
30 Day Singer is an online platform that offers comprehensive singing lessons for all skill levels.
Here are some of the key features that make 30 Day Singer a popular choice:
- Structured learning paths: 30 Day Singer provides structured learning paths for different skill levels, making it easy for students to progress in a logical and organized manner.
- Comprehensive curriculum: The platform offers a range of courses covering various aspects of singing, such as vocal technique, ear training, music theory, and more.
- Expert instructors: The lessons are taught by experienced and skilled instructors who have a wealth of knowledge and expertise in vocal technique and music theory.
- Interactive learning: 30 Day Singer’s lessons are designed to be interactive, with exercises and quizzes to reinforce learning and provide immediate feedback on your progress.
- Flexible learning: With 30 Day Singer, you can learn at your own pace, on your own schedule. This makes it a great choice for students with busy schedules or those who want to learn at their own pace.
- Access to a community of singers: 30 Day Singer provides access to a community of singers, where you can connect with other students, get feedback, and share your progress.
The comprehensive curriculum, expert instruction, and interactive learning make it an effective platform for singers of all levels.
Read my full 30 Day Singer review for more info or start your free trial to find out for yourself!
4. Other Musical Instruments
For other musical instruments, read our comprehensive guides linked below where I review the best online platforms for each instrument.
- Best Online Drum Lessons
- Best Online Violin Lessons
- Best Online Bass Lessons
- Best Online Ukulele Lessons
- Best Online Saxophone Lessons
- Best Online Classical Guitar Lessons
- Best Online Trumpet Lessons
- Best Online Fiddle Lessons
- Best Online Cello Lessons
- Best Online Banjo Lessons
- Best Online Mandolin Lessons
- Best Online Clarinet Lessons
- Best Online Flute Lessons
- Best Online Accordion Lessons
- Best Online Harmonica Lessons
Interested in music production? I’ve also written a guide on the best online music production courses.
How to Choose the Best Online Music Lessons
The best online music lessons are reliable and effective. Teachers are professional, educated, and dedicated to helping you improve your playing.
However, everyone has their own preferred learning methods. When searching for online lessons, be sure to look for a program that offers resources that work for you.
There are plenty of options, from guided video lessons to PDFs, and audio files.
If you’re a beginner, it’s important to watch someone demonstrate playing the instrument, so video lessons are probably the best option. There are also many great private online lessons if you want an individual approach.
Each online course is also characterized by its teacher’s approach. Find someone who is skilled but also positive and willing to help you with your personal goals.
And once you choose the best online music course for you, make sure to establish a regular practice routine if you want these lessons to be effective.
What Are the Benefits of Online Music Lessons?
If you choose online music lessons as your way of learning to play an instrument, you’ll be sure to go through a fun and relaxed learning process.
When you learn online, you can choose your own practice time and place. With this kind of flexibility, you’re more likely to stick to your practice schedule and complete your lessons with proper attention.
Regarding attention, online music classes require your full concentration. That is great for improving your overall focus but also for getting you into the so-called flow mode.
Consequently, you’ll feel more relaxed, fulfilled, and confident.
The health benefits of playing a musical instrument are numerous – it can improve your posture, breathing, memory, and coordination.
Learning an instrument also helps your coordination since it requires a lot of multitasking (reading notes, thinking about posture, and moving the fingers).
Online music lessons can be an excellent option for anyone looking to learn a new instrument or improve their skills.
With the flexibility, convenience, and expert instruction offered by online music lesson platforms, it has never been easier to learn music from the comfort of your own home.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced musician, there are online music lessons available to suit your needs and interests.
By taking advantage of the resources and expert instruction provided by these platforms, you can take your music skills to the next level and achieve your musical goals.
Are online music lessons effective?
Yes, online music lessons are effective for learning a new instrument or improving your skills. Online lessons offer flexibility, convenience, and the ability to learn at your own pace. With the use of interactive technology, instructors can provide feedback on your playing and offer personalized instruction.
Are 30-minute music lessons worth it?
30-minute music lessons can be worth it depending on your goals, skill level, and learning style. For beginners or those with a busy schedule, 30-minute lessons can provide a quick and effective way to learn and make progress. However, for more advanced players or those seeking more in-depth instruction, longer lessons may be necessary to cover more complex material. Ultimately, the effectiveness of 30-minute music lessons depends on the individual student and their specific needs and goals.
What is the best age to learn music?
There is no one best age to learn music, as it is never too early or too late to start. Children can begin learning music as young as a few months old, while adults can also learn and benefit from music lessons at any age. It ultimately depends on the individual’s interest and motivation to learn.
Are online music lessons good for kids?
Yes, online music lessons can be good for kids. They offer a flexible and convenient option for learning music and can be just as effective as in-person lessons. With the use of interactive technology, instructors can provide personalized feedback and instruction, and students can learn at their own pace. Online music lessons can also be a great option for kids who have busy schedules or who live in remote areas without access to in-person lessons. However, parental supervision and involvement may be necessary to ensure that the child is staying engaged and making progress.